How to Get Your Brand Name Right the First Time
Choosing a name for your brand is not as simple as it may seem. In fact, you may discover that finding one that meets all of your criteria is a lot more difficult than you expected. Considering it’s one of the most important decisions you’ll make for your business, you want to get it right in the beginning. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck with a name that doesn’t suit your brand or be forced to change it later, which can be costly.
These tips will help you get your brand name right the first time:
- Consider what you do and search for a name that matches your business but that helps you stand out from your competitors.
- Make it short, simple to spell and easy to remember. If you use awkward spellings, numbers, hyphens and similar characters in your name, it can make it hard for consumers to find you and hard for them to remember you when they need the services you provide.
- Avoid names that you have to explain before people can see the connection. The name should clearly represent your company and not leave potential clients scratching their heads trying to figure out how the name is related to your business.
- Know your target audience and look for a name that you think will capture their attention the best. Make it catchy but don’t go so trendy that the name will sound outdated in a few short years.
- Use keywords in your name if possible to help make it easier for consumers to find you in online searches.
- Don’t use your city name or state in your business name unless you never plan to expand outside your current location. This is more for small, family owned business that stay local.
- Pick out two or three different names and variations of each in case the one you choose is already taken. This way, you’ll have some alternatives ready just in case.
- Do your research to make sure the name is available and meets all of the legal requirements before trying to register it.
If you’re still having trouble coming up with a good name for your brand, consult a professional for help. Taking the time and putting forth the effort to do it right the first time will certainly pay off in the end.