6 Tips for Choosing a Good Domain Name
Choosing a domain name is a very important decision that should be taken seriously. The name you choose is a direct reflection on your business so you certainly need one that leaves a good impression on consumers. Therefore, you don’t want to use the first thing that comes to mind or you may regret your choice later.
Here are six tips for choosing a good domain name:
- Keep it simple. Long, fancy names may seem like the way to go until you discover that consumers tend to remember short, simple names better. As a result, domain names that are easy to say, spell and remember get the most acknowledgements.
- Make it keyword friendly. Keywords are what people use to search for online businesses that offer the products, services or information they need. If your domain name has the main keyword relevant to your business in it, you’ll attract more customers with a real interest in what you have to offer.
- Avoid using hyphens and numbers in the name. It makes it harder for people to remember it. It can also get very confusing trying to remember how you spell it causing the potential customer to shop somewhere else, with a few exceptions of course.
- Try to be unique. If your name sounds too similar to your competitors, consumers may think you’re the same company, which leads to a lot of lost sales.
- Don’t rush it. Take time to think about the name and see how it sounds when you say it a few times. Make sure it clearly represents your business to avoid confusion and talk it over with friends and family to see how they respond to the name.
- If you just can’t seem to come up with any great ideas, there are several good domain name generators available to help you come up with ideas such as GoDaddy and Shopify.
Joining the millions of businesses already online is an important step for any company, so don’t take it lightly. Use these tips to help you choose a good domain name that represents your business well.