5 Mistakes to Avoid for Your Domain Name
Your domain name is too important to make rookie mistakes. It says a lot about your business and gives potential customers their first glimpse into your company. You want to make a good impression right from the start and you can. You just need to avoid making some of the common mistakes new businesses often make when choosing a name for their domain.
Here are five mistakes to avoid for your domain name:
- Choosing a name without doing your research. In addition to making sure the name is available, you want to make sure it’s appropriate. What pops up when you do a search on the name? Does it lead to other sites that would be deemed inappropriate or does it take you to a competitor’s site? Does the name have a different meaning in another language that you should know about? Research provides the answers to these questions.
- Not being creative enough. Coming up with a great unique domain name that is not already taken is not easy. However, that doesn’t mean you should settle any name especially if it’s too similar to your competitors. Doing so will make it hard for consumers to distinguish you from other businesses, costing you sales and it could create legal problems down the road.
- Choosing a long, odd or complicated name that doesn’t make sense on it’s on. If you have to explain what the name has to do with your company, it’s probably not a good fit.
- Picking the domain name last. The best time to choose a domain name is when you’re choosing a name for your business. However, you need to act fast. Once you find an available domain name that is perfect for your business, register it right away.
- Settling for a name out of frustration or lack of time. It can be difficult to find the perfect name but don’t make the mistake of settling. Keep trying. The right name will come to you.
The tips above can help you avoid mistakes that can cost you time and money on down the road. This is an important decision that will affect the future of your business, so spend some time on it to ensure you find the perfect fit.